An opera by Giuseppe Verdi
Libretto by Francesco Maria Piave, based on the play by Alexandre Dumas fils La dame aux camélias
Revival on October 29, 2009
The timeless opera classics La traviata has become one of the most beloved operas in the whole world. It is also one of the most frequently performed operas at the Estonian National Opera to which the audience has applauded in seven premieres within nearly a hundred years.
The play by Dumas fils was published in 1849 and staged in 1852. Giuseppe Verdi, who attended the premiere, was so fascinated by the play that he based his opera La traviata on it. La traviata premiered the next year. It is a moving love story haunted by the morality of society and Violetta’s past. Ephemeral happiness ends in tragedy.
- Conductors: Arvo Volmer, Jüri Alperten
- Stage Director: Neeme Kuningas
- Designer: Anna Kontek (Soome)
- Lighting Designer: Esko Suhonen (Soome)
- Sung in Italian with subtitles in Estonian and English
- Approx. running time 3 h, two intermissions
- Thursday, October 10, 2013 / 19:00
- Thursday, December 5, 2013 / 19:00
- Thursday, December 19, 2013 / 19:00
- Friday, December 27, 2013 / 19:00